March 3, 2017
With opening day finally here, what will happen in 2017? Here are some predictions.
- Simon Dawkins will be replaced by Jahmir Hyka at mid early in the season. Dom seemed content to give Dawkins a lot of slack last season, but when you rank near the bottom in assists in four straight seasons, and your job is on the line, something’s gotta change. I doubt Dom will gamble on Dawkins for long if his midfielders aren’t producing scoring chances. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dawkins gets moved to forward instead.
- Nick Lima will be the regular starting right-back. I’m not sure if it was a Freudian slip, but when Dom Kinnear mentioned the injured Quakes players at Thursday’s media day, he did not mention Marvell Wynne. Maybe it’s nothing, or maybe Dom doesn’t see Wynne returning anytime soon. That said, the job appears to belong to Lima.
- Tommy will impact the score sheet. Tommy should start seeing quality minutes this season with the departure of Alberto Quintero. Expect him to finally get on the score sheet, and do it consistently. I’m predicting five goals and eight assists.
- The West will finish as follows: FC Dallas, Sporting KC, Colorado Rapids, L.A. Galaxy, Houston Dynamo, San Jose Earthquakes, Portland Timbers, Real Salt Lake, Vancouver Whitecaps, Minnesota United
- Dom Kinnear will finish the season as the head coach.
- If healthy, Chris Wondolowski will score 15 goals on the season.
- The Quakes will not sign a DP during the summer window.
- The Quakes will take the season series from the Galaxy 2-1.