The Quakes announced that they will play Manchester United on Tuesday, July 21st at 8:00pm at Cal Memorial Stadium. This kinda sucks for Quakes fans.
- The Commute:
- 1.25 hours from SJ to Cal
- The A’s have a home game that night against the Blue Jays. Let’s add 30 minutes to traffic just getting past the Oakland Coliseum. Commute Time: 1.75 hours
- It’s at the peak of rush hour when people in SF are commuting back home to the East Bay. Let’s add another 30 minutes just trying to get into Berkeley and Cal. Commute Time: 2.25. hours.
- You gotta drive home afterwards. Granted traffic will have died down, it’s still a 1.25 hour commute back. Total commute time: 3.5-4 hours
- It’s a weeknight game. Who is going to want to commute for three-four hours for a Tuesday night game when you have to work in the morning?
- The venue. If you’re going to go to a college campus, why not just go back to your roots and play at SJSU?
In the end, we all know this is a money grab for both teams. The Quakes were selected as a team in the “International Champions Cup” not because we’re champions, but because we have one of the richest and most populated areas in MLS: the Bay Area. This includes seeking venues that are not SJ specific, like Berkeley. I will go, simply because I can. But I will understand why many Quakes Fans will be disappointed in this location and date, and not go at all.